Saturday, January 24, 2009

Week 2 Blog 2

According to the Bates College Statement on Plagerism, Plagerism is defined as "the representation of another person's words, ideas, or information as if they were one's own." If you 'site' another's works, words, ideas or information, you must give the person(s) credit or you are guilty of plagerism. For example, if I had just simply typed in 'Plagerism is defined as the representation of another person's words, ideas, or infromation as if they were one's own' and not sited Bates College Statement on Plagerism, I would have been guilty of plagerism, blatantly guilty.

According to the United States Copyright Office, Copyright is '"a form of protection provided by the laws of the United States (title 17, U.S. code) to the authors of "original works of authorship," including literay, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intelluctual works.'" I am currently writing a book. As the author, I am protected by the Copyright laws. My book has been protected from the moment it was begun, created. I was not aware of this until I read the laws and guidelines set out by the United States Copyright Office.

1 comment: